Last month I decided to invest in myself and attend the Durham Women’s Network re:create 2020 event. The day brought 100 women together for inspirational speakers, yoga and meditation. Throughout the day I was able to connect with women from the community while creating new ideas, plans and goals for 2020.
The highlight of the day for me was hearing Celina Caesar-Chavannes speech on being a bold women. Celina captivated the room with her authenticity and personal examples that tied into her Top 10 Ways to be a bold women.
Celina’s Top 10 Ways
- Work hard, party harder. Take time for yourself.
- If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
- To whom much is given much is expected. There is a responsibility to give it back.
- Never take the first offer. Know what you are worth and negotiate.
- Sometimes you have to swallow a little. If you swallow the medicine, it will make you better.
- If you think about something twice, you’ve thought about it too many times.
- If it doesn’t make you want to vomit, it’s not worth doing.
- The rolling stone gathers no doubt. Keep moving, ask questions and connect. If you are passionate about it, just keep moving forward.
- Nothing that’s meant for you can ever pass you by.
- Go big or go home. The world needs you to show up.
After the event, I was able to reflect and take some time to review ideas that I noted down during the day. I am very excited to share that I will be creating weekly tips on my social media related to issues management and stakeholder engagement. Over the last few years, I have become an issues enthusiast as I deal with issues and complaints from members of the public and stakeholders on a daily basis. From my weekly tips, I plan to write a monthly blog that ties in tips from that month and provide others with insights that I have gained from my experience in issues management and stakeholder engagement.